Muscular guys have it tough. If you’re a muscular guy or a bodybuilder you’re fully aware of the struggle finding clothing that fits your body as it should. One of the most common problems is your arms too big for sleeves. Don’t get me wrong, after countless bicep curls making your arms pumped and vascular, you enjoy the way they look in your shirt but sometimes you feel like you’re about to burst out of it or end up wrestling to get it off!
So what do we do? Ditch your favourite shirts? Stop doing bicep curls? That’s not an option. You’re in an elite group of individuals, you should be rewarded, not wonder why nobody makes clothes for guys like you. In this blog we show different tips for making your sleeves fit the arms and the real solution to your problem.
Arms too big for sleeves - DIY Solutions
Go to a tailor
Typically a tailor will dart a shirt but most people don’t realise that this kind of armhole alteration can be made by a tailor. A menswear tailor is perfectly suited altering tight sleeves, and it’s a relatively easy thing for them to do.
If your shirt is too tight around the biceps and near the armhole. A tailor can create more room by dropping the armhole. They can use the additional fabric allowance in the seam to loosen the arms.
- Visiting a tailor allows you to keep your existing shirts but still have them fitted to your current arm size.
- Having a shirt specifically tailored for you is quite a nice experience and makes the clothing feel more personal and unique.
- There’s no two ways about it, tailoring is expensive. Even if you find one you consider reasonably priced, you’ve still paid twice: once for the shirt and once for the fitting.
- It’s hard to find a reasonably priced tailor that’ll do good work.
- Not to mention that the process is time consuming (typically 3-5 days). First you have to visit the tailor, then be measured, then wait for the work to be done. It’s not uncommon for tailors to have lots of work, meaning you could be waiting a while.
How to make tight sleeves looser (Hack)
This is somewhat of a hack to get your shirts to fit around the sleeve. WE DO NOT ADVISE THIS! How to fix tight armholes: you make a small cut on the underside of the sleeve near the armpit. You can cut ½ an inch from the inside of the sleeve without damaging the structure of the sleeve. As it’s the under the armpit this isn’t noticeable and gives slightly more room in the bicep.
- Easy fix and takes 1 minute to do
- Doesn’t cost a penny.
- If you do this incorrectly you can ruin the garment
- This is a quick fix and isn’t a sustainable solution. You will find after washing and wearing the integrity of the shirt starts to deteriorate.
Although it seems like an obvious suggestion. Every brand is different!
If you really want to find a shirt perfectly fitted to your arms you are likely to find it - you just have to look.
But realistically, none of these how to widen tight sleeve options are particularly helpful. Either they’re expensive, time-consuming, temporary, or all of the above. Trying to work with your existing clothes, or with the commonly available fits and sizes, is really not your best option. So what’s a muscular guy to do? Arms too big for sleeves? Heres the solution:
Best Sleeves for Big Arms
Tapered Fit Shirts
Finding a shirt that fits muscular arms can be very difficult. After all, most people with a muscular build want a shirt to be both fitted and comfortable, a combination that until recently was almost impossible to find. With the introduction of TAPERED™ fit shirts however, men now have the option for shirts that are fitted, but have enough stretch to provide comfort for all day wear. A perfect fit for big biceps and a V taper physique. So why not show off all that hard work in the gym with a TAPERED™ fit shirt, and be comfortable as well as fashionable? Check out our best seller here.
Our TAPERED™ fit has been developed by leading Tailors and industry experts to provide you with a revolutionary fit, you won’t ever need to take your shirt to a tailor again or give lots of different measurements. Perfect for those seeking a muscular fit, or bespoke tailoring - ready to wear! The best shirts for a muscular build.